History of Atlanta Bonded Warehouse Corporation
Atlanta Bonded Warehouse was organized in 1948 by a Peter Paul candy broker seeking to provide protective warehousing to the confectionery industry. The company operated under the name Acme Bonded Warehouse until 1981, when the current name was adopted. After two expansions, the "original" Acme facility encompassed 42,500 square feet of refrigerated storage space with a 10 foot clear height. The company experienced significant growth beyond the original facility, as summarized here.
- Original building and expansions (in Atlanta).
- Leased/purchased additional 118,500 SF in two buildings in Atlanta
- ABW/Atlanta RDC Co. awarded contracts to construct & operate a regional distribution center in Kennesaw, GA, (metro Atlanta) for a large chocolate manufacturer. Total RDC property 20 acres. Initial 211,200 SF opened July 1985 at 2500 Cobb International Blvd.
- Atlanta RDC facility expanded twice to 389,800 sf and 30.9 acres.
- ABW (public warehouse) moves into 155,000 SF facility adjacent to Atlanta RDC facility in 1991 (3000 Cobb International Blvd). Total ABW (public) property 19.3 acres. Facility expanded to 256,000 SF in 1994.
- ABW Public Warehouse operations expanded with purchase of adjacent 170,000 sf Wyeth-Ayerst distribution facility at 1000 Union Court (1999).
- ABW awarded contract to build out and operate Southeastern Distribution Center (SEDC) for Hershey Foods at 7060 Battle Drive. Facility opened May 2000: 404,500 sf.
- Two additional expansions of Atlanta RDC facility (659,000 sf total).
- Opened 200,000 sf contract facility in Rock Hill, SC.
- Opened 300,000 sf contract facility in Greenville, MS.
- Colonial Cartage expanded its service area in 2013 to include Midwest, Southwest, and Great Plains states to the Rocky Mountains.
- Opened 400,000 sf contract facility in Columbia, SC.