Atlanta Bonded Warehouse was organized in 1948 by a Peter Paul candy broker seeking to provide protective warehousing to the confectionery industry. The company operated under the name Acme Bonded Warehouse until 1981, when the current name was adopted. After two expansions, the “original” Acme facility encompassed 42,500 square feet of refrigerated storage space with a 10 foot clear height. The company experienced significant growth beyond the original facility, as summarized here.
- Original building and expansions (in Atlanta).
- Colonial Cartage Corporation created for local deliveries.
- Leased/purchased additional 118,500 SF in two buildings in Atlanta
- ABW/Atlanta RDC Co. awarded contracts to construct & operate a regional distribution center in Kennesaw, GA, (metro Atlanta) for a large chocolate manufacturer. Total RDC property 20 acres. Initial 211,200 SF opened July 1985 at 2500 Cobb International Blvd.
- Atlanta RDC facility expanded twice to 389,800 sf and 30.9 acres.
- ABW (public warehouse) moves into 155,000 SF facility adjacent to Atlanta RDC facility in 1991 (3000 Cobb International Blvd). Total ABW (public) property 19.3 acres. Facility expanded to 256,000 SF in 1994.
- ABW Public Warehouse operations expanded with purchase of adjacent 170,000 sf Wyeth-Ayerst distribution facility at 1000 Union Court (1999).
- ABW awarded contract to build out and operate Southeastern Distribution Center (SEDC) for Hershey Foods at 7060 Battle Drive. Facility opened May 2000: 404,500 sf.
- Two additional expansions of Atlanta RDC facility (659,000 sf total).
- Opened 200,000 sf contract facility in Rock Hill, SC.
- Opened 300,000 sf contract facility in Greenville, MS.
- Colonial Cartage expanded its service area in 2013 to include Midwest, Southwest, and Great Plains states to the Rocky Mountains.
- Opened 400,000 sf contract facility in Columbia, SC.
- Opened 150,000 square foot temperature controlled space located at 2850 Barrett Lakes Blvd.
- ABW (public warehouse) opened a 151,000 square foot temperature controlled space in 2016, located at 7000 Cobb International Blvd.
- ABW (public warehouse) opened a 354,000 square foot temperature controlled space in 2017, located at 2750 Barrett Lakes Blvd.
- ABW (public warehouse) completed a 162,000 square foot expansion in 2018, to its 3000 Cobb International facility in Kennesaw, GA. This addition added roughly 31,000 pallet positions. A.M. King of Charlotte, NC was selected as the Design-Build firm.
- ABW leased a newly constructed 312,000 square foot facility in Acworth, GA for occupancy Fall 2018.
- ABW (dedicated operations) opened a 600,000 square foot temperature controlled space in 2017, located at 7875 White Road, Austell, GA.
- ABW (dedicated operations) took over operations of a 210,000 square foot temperature controlled space in 2018, located in Henderson, NC.
- ABW (public warehouse) opened a 500,000 square foot ambient space in 2019, located at 1050 Preston Blvd., Lithia Springs, GA.
- ABW (dedicated operations) took over operations of a 1,500,000 square foot temperature controlled space in 2020, located in Irving, TX